Dr. Kumar Bhat
- Ph.D. – (1999)- Human Genetics Section, Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, India. Project Title: A cytogenetic and epidemiological study of lung cancer patients and their lymphocytic radiosensitivity to gamma radiation
- Master of Science (Human clinical anatomy, embryology & histology) – (1993) Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal, Mangalore University, Karnataka, India.
- Professor and Chairperson– Department of Anatomy, RAK College of Medical Sciences, RAKMSHU, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE. August 2016 – to date
- Additional Professor- Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, India. July 2012 – July 2016.
- Visiting Faculty – American University of Antigua, St. Johns, Antigua.
- Associate Professor- Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, India. May 2007 – July2012.
- Associate Researcher (academic staff) – Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Madison WI, USA, July 2006- April 2007
- Assistant Researcher (academic staff) – Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Madison WI, USA, January 2005 – June 2006.
- Research Fellow- Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA, April 2003 – December 2004.
- Assistant Professor- Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India, November 1999 – March 2003.
- Assistant Professor – Department of Anatomy, Manipal Collage of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal (On deputation from KMC, Manipal, From February 1997 to September 2001.
- Lecturer- Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India. September 1993 to November 1999.
Achievements/ Research Interests/ Publications /Awards Achievements:
- US Patent – US2008/0299563 A1 – Microtubule associated protein-2 promoter – as useful diagnostic, prognostic tool in 1) neruodegenerative disorders 2) Small molecule screening 3) as a marker for neuronal differentiation.
Current student’s projects on updated reviews
- Neuronal plasticity and its therapeutic importance
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in UAE
- Controversial Concepts of Diabetes
- Role of Epigenetics in treatment of Cancer
Extramurally funded research projects
A. As Principle investigator
- Cissus Quadrangularis Linn. (Asthisamharaka) as a regulator of bone progenitor cells: Cellular and Functional basis for osteogenic regenerative medicine– AYUSH, Govt. of India, 2011-2013
- Biology and Molecular Mechanisms of Melanocyte-Keratinocyte Interaction and Pigmentation – an Approach towards Therapeutic Implications for Vitiligo. DBT, Govt. of India, 2010-2013.
- Cissus Quadrangularis Lin. as a regulator of bone progenitor cells in osteoporosis and diabetes induced bone disorders: Molecular and functional basis for osteogenic regenerative Medicine. Center for Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India, 2014-2015.
- Functional, cellular and molecular evaluation of the hepatoprotective role of Caesalpenia bonduc (Kantakikaranja): an in vivo and in vitro study. Indian Council of Medical Research. 2014-2016.
- Evaluation of the mechanisms involved in wound healing properties of topical application of few Indian traditional Medicinal Preparations- Histopathological, biochemical, cellular, molecular and biomechanical analysis. Evaluation of the mechanisms involved in wound healing properties of topical application of few Indian traditional Medicinal Preparations- Histopathological, biochemical, cellular, molecular and biomechanical analysis. Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India. 2014-2016
B. As Co-investigator
- Molecular and functional evaluation of effect of Medhyarasayana on hippocampal functions – Co-investigator: Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, – 2010-2013.
- Identification of diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers to improve the management of diabetic ulcers – Co- Investigator, DBT, Govt of India Under Indo-Australian project. 2010-2013.
C. Other UG/PG projects supervised
- Effects of Fenugreek and Choline-Docosahexaenoic acid on menopause and chronic partial cerebral ischemia induced neurological changes in hippocampus and other associated systems: A histological, biochemical and cognitive study in rats
- Disposition of abdominal gastrointestinal organs in different gestational age and its correlation with rotation of gut and other clinical conditions.
- Effect of fenugreek seed extract on histology of the uterus, fallopian tube, liver, bone and lipid profile in menopause induced rat.
- Disposition of abdominal gastrointestinal organs in different gestational age andits correlation with rotation of gut and other clinical conditions.
- Microglial & astrocytes expression in Alzheimer’s and possible therapeutic effect of N-Acetyl cysteine.
- Evaluation of the cross talk between the Melanocytes and its microenvironment in relation to pigmentation homeostasis.
- Evaluation of detoxification of Lead during preparation of Nagabhasma: Multi-organ approach to explore the possible Anatomical, histopathological, embryological and cellular alterations.
- Cellular, biochemical and molecular changes in the intrauterine development of a cartilaginous and a intramembranous bone and their correlation with predisposing factors.
- Evaluation of Biocompatibility and Biomechanics of Silorane based restorative material.
- Neuro-developmental and behavioral modifications in rats subjected to prenatal stress when supplemented with dilatory choline and Docosahexenoic acid.
- Role of Prolactin, somatostatin on breast cancer etiology and progression.
- Study of prenatal effects of isotretinoin on neural crest cell migration and craniofacial development in rats: A possible involvement of neurotropic factor and oxidative stress.
- Evaluation of the cell-cell interaction and their role in metabolic status of the hepatocytes in hepatotoxic conditions
PhD Guide – 4 Awarded and 6 ongoing
Publications (in recent 3 years)*Principle investigator and corresponding author
1. Nagamma, Anjaneyalu, Kumar M R Bhat*(2017). Effect of phytoestrogens on lipid profile: Mini Review. Accepted in Asian Journal of pharmaceutical and clinical research.
Huban Thomas R, Kumar M R Bhat, Malsamzuali J C, Siva Kumar G, Ramesh Babu M G, Kiranmai S Rai (2017). Combined Supplementation Of Choline And Docosahexaenoic Acid During Pregnancy Enhances Neurodevelopment Of Fetal Hippocampus. 2016. Accepted in Journal of Neurology Research International.
3. Lydia S, Kumar M R Bhat* ( 2017) : Histopathological alterations in kidney due to the effect of various stages of Nagabhasma (lead) preparation. Accepted for publication in International Journal of Pharmaceutical sciences.
4. Akshay T Jagadeesh1, Anjaneyulu K2, Kumar M R Bhat2*(2017) ; Effect of phytoestrogenic constituents of fenugreek in comparison with synthetic estradiol on menopause induced hematological alterations. Accepted in Advanced Science Letters.
5. Divya Padma, Kumar M R Bhat* (2017); Influence of extracellular matrix from fibroblasts of vitiligo skin on melanocyte survival and melanin synthesis. Accepted in Advanced Science Letters.
6. J K Jyotsna, P Diya, S S Rao1, Kumar M R Bhat*(2017): Role of Cissus quadrangularis on homeostasis of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in diabetic condition. Accepted in Advanced Science Letters.
7. Anjaneyulu K, Kiranmai S Rai1, Raghu Jetti2, Kumar M R Bhat*(2017): Effect of fenugreek seed extract on menopause induced neurocognitive deficit. Accepted in Advanced Science Letters
8. Sushma R Kotian, K Shreedhara R Pai, Divya Padma, Rashmi Madhukar, Jayakrishna Nayak, Kumar MR Bhat* (2017): Effect of Natural Medicines on Dermal Fibroblasts in Wound Healing: An In-Vitro Study. Accepted in Advanced Science Letters.
9. Suhani S, Divya P, Pai KSR, Kotian SR, Kumar N, Bhat KMR (2016 April): Hepatoprotective activity of Aquous extract of Caesalpenia bonduc against CCl4 induced chronic hepatotoxicity. IJPPS 8(4): 207-211.
10. Divya Padma, Satyamorthy K, Kumar MR Bhat* (2016): Role of Gap junctional activity between keratinocytes and melanocytes in melanogenesis. Frontiers in biology. 10(6):495-502.
11. Divya Padma, Kumar M.R. Bhat* (2016 January). A comparison between Phorbol 12 myristate 13 acetate and Phorbol 12, 13 dibutyrate in human melanocyte culture. JCDR. 10(1): GC1-GC4.
12. Sushma RK, Sreedhara R Pai, Nayak JK, Hemalatha B, Keerthana P, Kumar M R Bhat (2015-November): Biomechanical, biochemical and histological evidences for wound healing properties of indian traditional medicines. Int. J Pharm and Pharmacuitical Sci. 7(11):163-171
13. Prashanthi S Madhyastha, Dilip G Naik, Ravindra Kotian, Srikant N, Kumar M R Bhat* (2015): Effect of staining solutions on color stability of silorane & methacrylate restorative material. Int. J Biomedical Sciences. 2 (1):29-34.
14. Prasanna LC, Thomas HT, D’Souza AS, Bhat KMR (2015). The histochemical assessment of sulpho-, sialo-, and neutral- mucosubstances in fetal gastric mucosa. Int J Res Med Sci. 5;3 (1): 235-238
15. Prasanna LC, D’Souza AS, Rajagopal KV, Bhat KMR(2015). A study on human pancreaticobiliary duct system and ampulla region with their clinical considerations. Indian J Gastroenterol. 34(1): 58-62.
16. Prasanna LC, Rajagopal KV, Thomas HR, Bhat KMR (2015). Accessory pancreatic duct pattern and their clinical implications. J Clin Diagn Res. 9(3): 5-7
17. Prashanthi S Madhyastha, Dilip G Naik, Ravindra Kotian, Divya Padma, Kumar M R Bhat* (2015): Evaluation of Cytotoxicity of Silorane and Methacrylate based dental composites using human gingival fibroblasts. January. JCDR. 9(1): ZC 05-ZC08.
18. Srinivasa Rao S, K S R Pai, Kumar MR Bhat *(2014): Effect of Cissus quadrangularis Linn on skeletal growth in the neonates of diabetic rats. October 3(5): 824-829. International Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology.
19. Suhani Sumalatha D’silva, KSR Pai, Nitesh Kumar, Kumar MR Bhat* (2014). Hepatoprotective role of Caesalpenia bonduc: a histopathological and biochemical study. August. November. Online publication. November. JCDR. 8(11); HF05-HF07.
20. Srinivasa Rao, KSR Pai, Bhagath Kumar Potu and Kumar MR Bhat* (2014). Beneficial effect of Cissus qudrangularis Linn. on osteopenia associated with streptozotocin induced type 1 diabetes mellitus in male Wistar rats. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences. April. Vol 2014: 1-10
21. Srinivasa Rao S, Karkala Sreedhara Ranganath Pai, Bhagath Kumar Potu, Narendra Pamidi, Kumar MR Bhat* (2014). Protective effect of Cissus quadrangularis. Linn on diabetes induced delayed fetal skeletal ossification. International Journal of Ayurveda and Integrated medicine. 5(1): 25-32.
Before – 2013 – 35 publications in experimental research & 30 Human Anatomical variations related publications
Awards – Good teacher in Kasturba medical College, Manipal in 2010, 2012 & 2014
Book/ chapter written
1. Kumar MR Bhat, Vijayasaradhi Setaluri (2008) “Microtubule Associated Proteins (MAPs) and Cancer”. In Encyclopedia of Cancer, Second Edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, New York.
2. Gupta PD, Kumar MR Bhat, AS D’Souza (2015). Text book of Histology. First edition, PUG publications private limited, Chennai, India.
Reviewer of biomedical journals
Conferences & Workshops
- Reviewer of 5 National and 15 international journals
- Presented research work in 40 national and 55 international conferences
- 3 National and 3 international conferences organized
- 15 national and international workshops organized
- 32 National and international workshops attended